Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Witches (B4)

Name: Beatriz Figueiredo
Class: B4
Book Title: The Witches
Author: Roald Dahl
Pages: 208
Rating: ****

Recommendation: This book is for anybody that likes a good mystery. If you like a laugh or fairy-tale, this book was made for you. But if you aren't a person that doesn’t like imagination or crazy stories, you don't have to read this book.

Summary: This is the story of one little boy that is an orphan. When his parents died, he went to his grandmother's house in Norway, where the origin of witches is said to have been. In this story the witches are real witches. They don't ride on broomsticks or wear black cloaks and hats but they are detestable creatures and ordinary ladies. Each witch needs to eliminate at least one child per week. The little boy's grandmother told him to recognize witches, and how he can avoid them. Then the little boy has his first encounter with a witch, and begins a new adventure. This story will tell you all you need to know. You will discover some sensational secrets. Be ready for one wonderful real fairy-tale.

Explanation of Rating: I am an exchange student and my goal was to read the most easy book that I could find, because I can't understand English very well. So I thought that "The Witches" could be a good one, because it look like a kid's book... But then I really was liking this book. I was so excited to read this book. There is so many adventures. With this book I could travel in my mind. I learned about a lot of imaginary things, so I really liked this book!

Favorite passage: “It was a mask! As she took off the mask, she turned sideways and placed it carefully upon a small table nearby, and when she turned round again and faced us, I very nearly screamed out loud. That face of hers was the most frightful and frightening thing I have ever seen. " - Chapter 7
I like this passage because it shows the most exciting part of the book (in my opinion). It shows how the real witches are, without the masks or gloves, fake hair... When I read this book I was very excited!!!

No comments: