Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Pact B1

Name: Claire Lewis
Class Period: B1
Book Title: The Pact
Author: Jodi Picoult
Pages: 496
Rating: *****
Recommendation: This book is good for teenage girls mainly, probably because it is basically a love story between two teenagers. There is some romance in it, which i know boys wouldn't enjoy. Adults would like it too because of the great writing. Readers might want to be careful, though, because there are some romantic....parts.

Summary: Two teenagers, Chris and Emily, had been best friends since the day Emily was born. They grew up together, because their parents were best friends, too. As they reach high school, something changes, and Emily winds up dead, shot through the head. Chris was the only person with her, and he had the gun, and so he was put on trial for her murder in the first degree. The book explains his live in prison, and the feelings from Emily's family and Chris's own. Chris's defense statement is that they had made a suicide pact, and that she killed herself and then he was planning on killing himself after, but got too scared. His story changes throughout the book, and you never know what really happened. The end is really exciting when you find out what really happened at the murder scene...

Explanation of Rating: This book was long, and I couldn't put it down. It went by quickly because the writing was so good, and each chapter switches from points of view from different main characters. You get a good feel for many different sides of the case. I love all the books by this author. She is a great writer, and really keeps you hooked with twists in the story. You get really attached to the characters, for example, I practically cried at the end of this book.

Favorite Passage: "I, um, I have this problem. I broke up with my boyfriend, you see. And I'm pretty upset about it, so I wanted to talk to my best friend...The thing is, they're both you." - Emily to Chris
This part just made me smile, because I could tell that Chris was so happy to hear this after their fight. We know how they both felt (different chapters), and how they were both hurting because of the fight they were in. This just helped and it was so cute.

No comments: