Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Tail of Despereaux B4

Name: Kirsten Fowler
Class period: B4
Book Title: The Tail of Despereaux (: Being the Story of a Mouse, a Princess, Some Soup, and a Spool of Thread)
Author: Kate DiCamillo
Pages: 272
Rating: *****

Recommendation: I would recommend this to anyone who is into fantasy novel. It’s a very good book for someone who is younger and who is very board. It’s very easy to read and it is very captivating for a intensive reader like myself. I would really recommend this book to all readers. I love this book.

Summary: 1st: Despereaux Tillings is a very small mouse born in the castle. But he has really, really, really big ears and doesn’t do ‘mousy’ things. He ends up falling in love with a princess, the Princess Pea. Despereaux allows Princess Pea to kiss his nose and he talks to her, there-by breaking a mouse law, and set to the dungeons were lives the rats. 2ed: A couple days or months before Despereaux was born a rat named Chiaroscuro, Roscuro, who “killed” the queen by accidentally fell into her bowl of soup. Princess Pea hates Roscuro. 3ed: Miggery Sow, Mig, was sold as a baby to a man that she calls “Uncle” and receives “cloughts to the ear” a lot. But is discovered by a guard and taken to the castle and works for the princess. 4th: Mig and Roscuro meet and they kidnap Princess Pea, when Despereaux learns of this he ventures back to the dungeon to rescue her, and being a knight. He saves Pea and Mig cuts off Roscuro’s tail.

Explanation of the rating: I really liked it; I read it more than once I loved it so much. I really liked the story line and I really enjoyed how the writer spoke to you through the pages and with the way she wrote I felt as though I was really there, it was like being in a movie. As the book was so captivating I couldn’t put it down. I felt glued to the pages, I didn’t even stop to eat because I got addicted to reading that book until it was over I carried it everywhere. And I couldn’t help but read it a second time.

Favorite Passage: "Cripes!"~Furlough / "Gor!"~Mig / “There are those hearts, reader, that never mend again once they are broken. Or if they do mend, they heal themselves in a crooked and lopsided way, as if sewn together by a careless craftsman. Such was the fate of Chiaroscuro.”

No comments: