Thursday, May 20, 2010

Percy Jackson and the Olympian: The Lightning Thief

Name: Ben Maeda
Class: A4
Book: Percy Jackson and the Olympian: The Lightning Thief
Author: Rick Riordan
Pages: 375
Rating:****

Recommendations: I would recommend this book to those who likes Mythology. This book contains mostly true information about the Greek Gods such as Zeus, Hades, and Poseidon. It was entertaining and interesting at the same time!

Summary: This book is a fantasy/adventure novel based on Greek Mythology. It's based on this Character who is a Half-god Half-human (demigod). Percy Jackson is a twelve year old boy diagnosed with ADHD and dyslexia, who has been expelled from several schools. He goes on a Percy goes on a trip with his mother Sally, and his friend Grover. On the way Grover insists that Sally takes Percy to a certain camp for protection. As they drive towards camp, they are attacked by a Minotaur which grabs Percy's mother by her throat. She dissolves into a golden shower of light, while Grover and Percy narrowly escape. After he escapes they discovers that he has arrived in Camp Half-Blood, a secretive training ground for demigods. And shortly after that he learns that he is the Son of Poseidon. He also learns that his mother is still alive so basically he goes and saves her.

Explanation of Rating: I gave this book a 4 star because I have been learning Greek mythology in my Mythology class. I thought it was cool to be able to connect what I learned and what I was reading. Also, I enjoyed the book because I like to read about adventure stuff. And I thought it was clever to make up characters like Percy Jackson as a son of a God. Over all, I enjoyed the book.

Favorite Quote: "I liked you better as my math teacher" - near the beginning of the book

I like this quote because it was in the middle of fighting and all he says is "I liked you better as my math teacher." I thought it was funny.

No comments: