Friday, May 21, 2010

Addison C. Shurtz
A3
Surround Yourself with Greatness
Chad Lewis
400
*****

Recommendation: I would recommend this book to anyone in the world who just needs some motivation in life. This book not only teaches what happiness is, it also teaches you how to achieve it. That's something I think we all could use a few tips on.

Summary: Chad Lewis was a large in stature high school student. He grew up right here in Orem, Ut. He attended Orem High School where he picks his story up. When Chad was a teen his father developed a very painful "tumor like" problem in his head. He was rushed to the hospital where the doctors told them he had a 25% chance of living if surgery was preformed right then. The Lewis family prayed so hard for there dad just hoping the lord would spare his life. After quite a few hours of waiting the doctor came out to announce there father was still alive. The surgery had been successful, but the doctor said he's never walk again. After a few months Chad's dad put 100% effort into retraining his legs. Chad explained how he always tried to help his father on every occasion he could, he even had decided to sacrifice his Mormon Mission to stay and help his father. His father was not happy holding Chad back, so he motivated Chad to leave. Chad served in a Taiwanese Mission where he learned his Mission Companion was going to play football at BYU. Chad had played throughout High School and was an all state player, but BYU was a tough team to walk on at. This however motivated him. He walked on at BYU where after years of hard work became a starter. His next role was an all conference performer, and from there he joined the NFL. He was undrafted, but put some hard work into joining the Philadelphia Eagles where he played for several years before getting hurt. His career ended early, but he explained so well on how it was a success, and he taught all the things he learned on his journey through life.

Explanation of Rating: This book was fantastic. I have become fascinated in these motivational sports books. They keep me always interested, and teach me so much about myself and how to better my life. I not only thought Chad's book was a great tool for getting me through this last term, but it also has taught me things that i will remember for a lifetime. Things in which I can teach my children one day. I loved this book, one if not the best book I've ever read.

Passage: "I had never realized how fast life could be gone until I was caught in the moment."- Chapter 3

I was just talking about this with my Mother the other night. This is truly such a true statement. Life can end so quickly, so we need to learn to make the best of it. Not waste our time on worthless matters.

No comments: